Commercial Lead Category Manager (A2ZD15972)
at Department for Education (DfE), North
Salary: Daily Rate: Up to £500 Ltd
Job Type: Contract
Job Title: Commercial Lead Category Manager
CV Submission Deadline: Fri 9 August @ 12.00
Duration: 4 months
Daily Rate: Up to £500 Ltd
Security Clearance: BPSS
IR35 IN/OUT Scope: Out of Scope
Key Tasks and Deliverables:
As a Commercial Lead Category Manager you will lead the end-to-end procurement process and manage projects for a range of categories, specifically for Schools, delivering the best possible commercial outcomes for children, young people and the education system.
You will be willing to travel between Schools and potentially across cities and regions in engaging with a range of School sector stakeholders
You will provide support to Schools in helping to navigate the market and find the best value. It is anticipated that you will use Crown Commercial Frameworks and follow EU Procurement Regulations.
You will use your expertise and knowledge to influence and shape the best commercial outcomes, which will be measured and tracked to continue to inform the Schools Buying Strategy and Schools Commercial Programme outcomes.
You will need to work collaboratively, take a strategic and holistic view whilst building and managing effective professional relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including suppliers, Crown Commercial Services, Local Authority Commercial Teams, Public Sector Buying Organisations (PSBOs) and Schools.
You will represent the Department for Education in supporting Schools and therefore it is essential that the upmost commercial integrity and rigor is applied to the services and support provided.
Reporting to the Senior Category Manager, the post holder will be responsible for:
- Leading a team, the function and customers through change, building a culture of continuous improvement, and providing high quality support to leadership
- The creation and delivery of world-class, market-leading category strategy which manages and develops supplier markets to meet current and future DfE needs
- Quickly gaining a deep understanding of the supply market, category, and business context and using this knowledge to inform commercial strategy
- Leading negotiations of high value DfE procurements and contracts ensuring accurate, comprehensive and transparent analysis, with robust recommendations to senior decision makers.
- Managing the lifecycle of large, complex contracts and grants (existing and new) across the category, and the commercial management of key suppliers.
- Working with policy leads to understand requirements and define optimal commercial strategies
- Maintaining an up to date procurement pipeline
- Contributing to Strategic Supplier Relationship Management including the development of Supplier Action Plans to agree performance improvement goals, identification and delivery of savings initiatives and innovation opportunities
- Developing and delivering a savings plan for the category, ensuring that savings are identified and realised
- Ensuring that commercial risks are identified and managed at all stages of the category lifecyle, and that ongoing risks are transferred into contract management.
- Using an e-procurement system to effectively manage and capture data on end to end category management activity
- Complying fully with EU procurement law, DFE commercial procedure, policy, and assurance processes.
- Gaining the expected value for money over the full contract term, from tendering to contract wind-down.
- The line management of a category team and coaching and developing staff within the function
- Identifying and implementing improvements to commercial processes, systems and skills.
- Supporting other category teams as required to balance workload across the Department