Digital Dev Ops (A2ZD20135)
at MOD, South West
Location: South West
Salary: Daily Rate: Up to £600 via Umbrella
Job Type: Contract
Job Title: Digital Devops
CV Submission Deadline: 29th Jan 5pm
Duration: 6 months contract
Daily Rate: Up to £600 via Umbrella
Security Clearance: SC
IR35 IN/OUT Scope: In Scope
Key Tasks and Deliverables:
A Senior DevOps engineer supports the delivery of digital services by assisting with the implementation and operation of underlying practices, tools and systems, ensuring continuous service improvement and supporting product delivery through development and into Live. The role will provide assistance and guidance for Delivery teams on processes and best practices, as well as researching new technologies as a subject matter expert to enable Delivery teams to be more effective and provide a better service to customers.
- Implement practices, processes and technology that drive efficiencies between development and operations Technology teams
- Find ways to improve system robustness, resilience, stability and instrumentation
- Pro-actively find ways to increase the pace of delivery teams by improving processes
- Contribute to the community, providing technical leadership, coaching and mentoring the team, promoting knowledge sharing and adoption of good practice
- Build the processes, policy, practices, tools and technologies to improve operational efficiency of running a digital service or product.
- Undertake necessary configuration to support the delivery of specific digital services.
- Takes an active role in development and operations events, such as daily scrums, sprint planning, refinement etc. providing support to delivery teams and solving complex problems
- Provide coaching and mentoring to more junior colleagues
- Ensure deployment strategies for products are repeatable, scalable and highly available
A senior DevOps engineer will have significant and varied professional experience in either infrastructure or application development, typically gained over 3 years or more.
Experience in either:
- Infrastructure (Practitioner experience of Microsoft Windows Servers, Cloud technologies and Virtualisation technologies in a large enterprise environment. Experience of automation, containerisation and ability to implement infrastructure as code would be an advantage.)
- Application Development (Modern software engineering/testing practices, tools and techniques. Practitioner experience in designing, testing, documenting and delivering complex software solutions and supporting software services, using good software engineering practices such as CI/CD, unit testing and modern architecture. Building digital services to run in a variety of target environments including on-prem and the cloud).
- Practitioner in either infrastructure or development, with skills across wide ranging technologies such as Windows/Linux operating systems, virtualisation, networking, programming/scripting languages and cloud technologies.
- Has a practitioner level understanding of automated testing tools and techniques.
- Working level skills in using infrastructure as code techniques.
- Working level skills in a code-based automation (e.g. PowerShell, Bash, Ansible, Puppet).
- Awareness of containers and orchestration techniques.