Expert Engineer (ALY930174)
at DSTL, South West
Location: South West
Salary: Daily Rate: Up to £630 via Umbrella
Job Type: Contract
Job Title: Expert Engineer
CV Submission Deadline: 20/03/19 @ 09.00
Business Unit: DSTL
Location: South West: Dstl Porton Down
Duration: 12 Months
Daily Rate: Up to £630 via Umbrella
Security Clearance: DV – Developed Vetting
IR35 IN/Out Scope: IN Scope
Key Tasks and Deliverables:
The Electronic Surveillance (ES) of Radar is a key Defence capability part of the Electronic Warfare (EW) and Cyber Electromagnetic Environment Activities (CEMA) doctrine. ES is employed on the majority of UK platforms, across all domains, to support its survivability and as an Intelligence collection asset. Within the Defence S&T strategy, ES is recognised as one of the highest priority sensing disciplines with an active user community and an array of complex challenges to overcome.
Help to build and sustain the reputation of S&T through building relationships and engagement with S&T users.
- Maintain an understanding of the military and broader S&T user environment to anticipate demand signals and/or changing priorities.
- Maintain situational awareness of S&T exploitation paths and capability planning issues, and feedback to the PgM(s), to improve the impact of S&T.
- Maintain situational awareness of S&T capabilities and build networks across Dstl, wider government, IRC, industry and academia.
- Provide independent technical assurance and challenge throughout the bidding, delivery and closure of an Industry or University contract.
- Taking a wider view and endeavouring to aid collaboration, coordination and coherence across programmes; striving to ensure minimum duplication and maximum exploitation across programmes, and commands and DS&I environments.
- Ad hoc technical advice, project core funded advice.
- Planned activity (may be more than just technical advice).
- Provide technical advice to support the translation of S&T Requirements, specifically which aspects are appropriate for the project to address.
- Provide advice on S&T capabilities in Dstl.
- A trusted adviser by developing networks and working relationships within the S&T user community.
- Provide expert technical advice on S&T capabilities in Dstl, wider government, industry, academia and IRC to support evidence-based decision making, including:
-Novel concept development.
– Prioritisation of project activities
-Long term S&T strategy setting for Radar ES
- Recognised SQEP expert in combinations of: Electronic Surveillance; Electronic Warfare including Electronic Attack; Radar; Signal processing & classification; Data science.
- Proactive, innovative and experienced in leading through technical excellence.
- Ability to set requirements on external organisations and be an intelligent customer to these organisations.
- Understands the Defence and Security context of this profile.
- Experience of working in the S&T user environment.
- Experience of working in the external S&T supply base.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders, including up to senior levels within the MOD and Government.
DSTL – ALL DSTL POSTS ARE RESERVED POSTS, Due to the nature of the work and site only UK Nationals will be considered for the role, Due to security requirements Dual Nationals will not be eligible.