Interaction Designer (A2ZD16738)
at Ministry of Justice, Midlands
Salary: Daily Rate: Up to £500 Ltd
Job Type: Contract
Job Title: Interaction Designer
CV Submission Deadline: 05/09 @ 09.00
Location: Birmingham or Nottingham
Duration: 6 months
Daily Rate: Up to £500 Ltd
Security Clearance: BPSS
IR35 IN/OUT Scope: IN Scope
Key Tasks and Deliverables:
- Analyse failure within services and identify root causes for that failure
- Identify opportunities for cost reduction and improvement within an existing service
- Understand user needs and how to design services that meet them
- Design user centred interfaces and transaction flows
- Create and iterate prototypes to test and communicate ideas
- Work with user researchers and frontend developers to turn concepts into user centred services
- Assess a service and provide constructive feedback
- Explain design decisions and be able to represent a service at a service assessment
- Contribute to the wider community of designers in government
- Welcome the constructive criticism of their work and be able to constructively review the work of others
- Engage the whole multidisciplinary team with the design process
- Communicating information – Able to listen to the needs of the technical and business stakeholders and interpret between them. Able to manage stakeholders’ expectations and be flexible, is capable of proactive and reactive communication. Facilitates difficult discussions within the team or with diverse senior stakeholders.
- Digital Perspective – Is responsive to changes in technology, adapting their approach accordingly. Makes decisions to meet user needs in the government context. Understands the importance of assisted digital and is able to design services and make decisions to meet users needs.
- Evidence and context-based design – Can absorb large amounts of conflicting information and use it to produce simple designs.
- Prototyping – Sees prototyping as a team activity, actively soliciting prototypes and testing with others. Establishes design patterns and iterates them. Knows a variety of methods of prototyping and chooses the most appropriate ones.
- Understanding constraints – Can identify and understand constraints and is able to communicate these and work within them. Is able to challenge the validity of constraints. Capable of ensuring standards are being met.
- User focus – Able to collaborate with user researchers and can sell and represent users internally. Understands the difference between user needs and desires of the user. Able to champion user research to focus on all users. Can prioritise and defines approaches to understand the user story, guiding others in doing so. Can offer recommendations on the best tools and methods to be used.
- Prototyping in coding – Can create static HTML and CSS prototypes. Considers different screen sizes. Knows how to version and host a prototype.
- Leadership and guidance – Contributes to best practice guidelines. Understands the sustainability and consequences of their decisions and is able to make decisions characterised by managed levels of risk and complexity. Capable of resolving technical disputes between wider peers and indirect stakeholders, taking into account all views and opinions
- Agile working – Has had experience in working in agile, including an awareness of agile tools and how to use them. Can advise colleagues on how and why agile methods are used and is able to provide a clear, open and transparent framework in which teams can deliver. Can adapt and reflect, is resilient and has the ability to see outside of the process.
- Community collaboration – Able to work collaboratively within a group, actively networking with others and engaging in varying types of feedback choosing the appropriate time and ensuring the discussion sticks. Uses initiative to identify problems or issues in the team dynamic and rectify them. Able to pull out issues through agile health-checks with the team to provoke the right responses.
- Strategic thinking – Able to work within a strategic context and communicate how activities meet strategic goals. Contributes to the development of strategy and policies.