Systems Programmer (ALY930167)
at DSTL, South West
Location: South West
Salary: Daily Rate: Up to £404 via Umbrella
Job Type: Contract
Job Title: Systems Programmer
CV Submission Deadline: 13th March @ 12:30
Business Unit: DSTL//Programme & Delivery//Operations//Information Management
Location: South West: Dstl Porton Down
Duration: 12 months
Daily Rate: Up to £404 via Umbrella
Security Clearance: DV – Developed Vetting
IR35 IN/Out Scope: In Scope
Key Tasks and Deliverables:
Dstl’s Information Systems Programme requires information communication technology (ICT) for experimentation, development, integration and demonstration of novel concepts for the management of data and information. The ICT is based at one site, across two buildings, one of which has dedicated computer laboratories, and currently comprises six networks of between 5 and 50 servers, between 1 and 30 user-access devices and up to 45 users. (This remains subject to alteration and development.)
Your role will be to manage, operate and maintain these ICT systems.
- Manage, operate and maintain the computer systems.
- Design and plan network infrastructure.
- Lead activities to support accreditation, including security working groups.
- Conduct user requirements analysis.
- Escalate issues beyond your control to the Infrastructure Lead and offer recommendations.
- Communicate high-level ICT system capabilities to Dstl groups and projects.
- Provide advice to projects on suitable ICT for planned research.
- Develop, change and/or upgrade the systems as required.
Detailed duties and responsibilities:
- Virus definition updates, software updates and installation.
- Load on and copy off data between ICT systems and corporate systems.
- Support auditing needs of hardware assets, security logs, etc.
- Setup of new user accounts and user IT inductions.
- Provide user support to trouble tickets and requests, advice, guidance and training.
- ICT lifecycle management including disposal.
- Backup system data and data of specified users.
- Monitor server room power and cooling systems.
- Oversee work by facilities teams and contractors.
- Coordinate with the managers of connected and remote systems.
- Check, renew and audit software licence usage.
Also to conduct associated duties and support to other projects as required.
Support the periodic build-out and tear-down of lab-based system client devices at experimentation tempo, including virtual networks and assets. Connect networks within labs, equipment rooms and configuration-controlled spaces. Provide advice on the introduction and integration of new technologies into existing or new systems.
Carry out maintenance work in a way that minimises disruption to users. This extends to limited, infrequent out-of-hours working when needed by users. Provide technical support to users including, for example, working an hours-shifted day in line with anticipated user needs, when arranged in advance.
1.Windows systems, including Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016 and Windows Update Services.
2.Configuring Windows Active Directory, LDAP, and securing Group Policy for domain working and enterprise level architectures
3.Linux operating systems, specifically Ubuntu and CentOS 7, and Linux repositories
4.VMWare ESXi 5.x and 6, vSphere 5, Virtual Centre 5 and 6
5.HP servers, blade servers, SANs and NASs
6.Openstack Juno, including Neutron and Keystone.
The following experience is desirable but not essential:
1.Local area networks
2.Knowledge of JSP440 and 604
3.Configuring web services
4.Wide area networks, including routing, firewalls and security
5.Awareness of NCSC good practice guides for virtualisation and working across security domains.
Qualifications and certifications in the technologies mentioned and ICT system management. Qualifications and certifications in related subjects would be advantageous.
A valid UK driving licence and willingness to undertake occasional travel would be advantageous.
Holding cryptographic manager responsibility for edge encryption devices and COMSEC would be advantageous.